Saturday, June 23, 2012

Moving Forward


I didn't walk away.






Not completely, though I had to talk through every possibility with Paul so that I could feel good about whatever I ended up choosing. Stupid bike.

I did not complete a triathlon, but chose the one event that haunted me the most in the six months of training: the 500 m open water swim in Jimbaran Bay.

I will never do it again, so this helped me deal with the incredible disappointment of the bike debacle here. The poor woman at this end who was in charge of the rentals seemed more devastated than I was. The bike was even too big for Paul, and so were two others proposed to us at 5:30 this morning.

So, I swam. And, man, that is totally hard. I stopped twice en route and couldn't see where I was going. I did the back stroke, front crawl, float and dog paddle. I love the dog paddle. It saved my ass today. Another plus was the bathing suit I agonized over and purchased last January. The one piece wrestler suit was not out of place here at all. Swimming is not for weaklings, not that I ever thought that, but wow. All the stuff I learned about breathing and form and all of that evaporated the nanosecond my toes touched water.

I finished second to last of the yellow-capped sprint tri crew in less than 30 minutes, my fastest time ever for that distance! Oh the irony.

The person who finished first in the 1500 m event was done in just under 22 minutes, a result which in itself knocked the breath out of me.

Now, I will enjoy the rest of our Bali and Lombok vacation with Paul. We leave for the Gili Islands and Paul's scuba diving expedition tomorrow.



- Posted using BlogPress on the i-touch.
Location:Jimbaran

No comments:

Post a Comment