Monday, June 18, 2012

Monkey Run

Jet lag kills brain cells, that or mine were already pretty damaged to think that I'd actually do a triathlon scott free. The lack of Scott freedom part has to do with not swimming at all for the few weeks leading up to the race in Jimbaran. As you know, I have a lot of fear about getting physically assaulted and drowning, though uncharacteristically, I am not too worried about finishing that part of the event. But still.

I am in Ubud, Bali for another few hours and in today's morning run, this is what I saw:




I love Monkey Forest Road and didn't expect it to be so literal. At 6:00 a.m. before the tour buses arrive, many dozens of monkeys crisscross the street. I must do research on Monkeys.

Today, Though, I head north to Lovina, in part because at heart I am a beach bum and initially was very attracted to this place because of its name. There have probably been dumber reasons for visiting a place, right?

When I travel, it does take a few days for me to balance the rhythm of cultural differences. I tend to talk too much and laugh too easily when I am nervous, and as I find my place here, I have been doing quite a bit of both so far. Oh well. Still feeling astonished and blessed and (miraculously) injury free, though I did fall down on that Monkey Forest street and have had numerous close calls with the "sidewalks" here. In fact, I witnessed a terrible motorcycle collision yesterday, its sound jarring and disturbing. Two young women walked away perfectly fine.

All the best. Six days to go.

- Posted using BlogPress from the iPad that has come into my possession.

Location:Ubud

No comments:

Post a Comment