Sunday, June 16, 2013

Competition.

I ran a 10k this morning in Outremont...next door to the Mile End district of Montreal, my neighborhood of twenty some years. I am basically a lazy person and so I absolutely love races that involve a travel time of less than five minutes to both the start and finish lines.



Anyway, just before we began, I mentioned to someone ahead of me that my intention was to follow him and I hoped he knew where he was going. Light chit chat. Then, I tried to make some sarcastic observation about how so-called "noncompetitive" these races were. I was trying to make the point that no one will admit to being triple A competitive. Before he completely zoomed ahead at the start line, he looked at me as if I were mentally insane. I should know better. When I say I am slow, I am telling the truth. When others say they are slow, they are comparing themselves to the Bolt.

Ironically, my speed was pretty good (for me) at 1 hour 7 minutes. This was the first race in the new age category and it was okay. So there. I am owning some of that competitive spirit too.

At this time next week, with any kind of luck, I will be crossing the finish line for the half marathon in Hawaii -- can't even believe it. Also, looking forward to some awesome coffee and recovery.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment